[RE-wrenches] Exeltech

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Thu Jul 18 09:27:59 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hello David

I would not recommend extending the DC cables feeding the inverter in
order to have more twists between them. One key to good inverter
performance is low resistance in the input cables, so they should be
as short as possible.

A choke is just a transformer core (iron laminations) with a single
wire wound through it. Sort of a transformer with one continuous wire
in and out. What a choke does is smooth out the DC fluctuations on
the wire running through it by storing energy in the magnetic iron
core.

I suspect that you can't buy the choke you are looking for, you'll
have to homebrew it. Strip down a power transformer from an old large
TV set. Remove the wire that is in the transformer and wind as many
turns of large gauge wire (#4 or better) as you can into the
transformer's core. Insert one of these chokes in series with each of
the DC cables feeding the inverter.

On the whole, it may be easier, and cheaper, to replace the radio
gear that is experiencing RFI problems. Perhaps a newer model will
have better filtration and not be so noisy.

RFI is a tough problem to lick and I hope that this helps.

Richard

At 20:55 -0400 07/17/2002, David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light wrote:
>Richard,
>Thanks for your help (and to everyone else who has advised us on this
>issue).
>
>We already have twisted the battery cables but were only able to get three
>turns on them because of their length. Would you recommend trying longer
>cables of #4 with more turns?
>
>Also, what exactly is a "choke"? Where do I purchase it and do I ask for a
>specific size? I am electronically not the most experienced wrench. I have
>heard of chokes before in terms of filtering but have no experience using
>them myself. I do not see choke listed in the index of Basic Electricity and
>Electronics, S. Matt. Are they known by another name?
>
>It was good seeing Ian at SolarFest this past weekend.
>
>Warmest regards,
>
>David

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com