Hypalon Cable [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Jul 16 09:45:30 PDT 2002

Drake and Frank,

Drake, I know you have had long debates on this subject so I am not trying
to start a debate here. The underlying issue with listing of anything is
"what is it listed for." There are thousands of examples of equipment or
materials that are listed for one use and work well in many other uses. When
a product is listed for a specific purpose (and no other purposes), it's
listing only applies to that use. A great case in point are PV inverters.
You can get them to do many other things if you are creative, but many of
these inverters are only listed for PV systems--nothing else. A welding
cable, with no other listing marks is only good for welding. However, many
cables may have multiple listings and be listed for conduit, direct burial,
sunlight resistant, acid resistant, and the list goes on. Ideally we would
have listed battery cables, but the best thing we can do is find cables that
are listed for the purposes and locations they are to be used (wet
locations, acid-resistant, proper temperatures, installable in conduit,
whatever is needed). Just because it has a UL on it does not mean it works
for batteries. It may be UL listed to beat your dog (hey, it could happen).

Bill.