AC/DC in Same Conduit? [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu Jul 11 14:01:41 PDT 2002

Wrenches:

I am afraid I must disagree with Mr. Brooks on this one.
My opinion is based on exhaustive discussions on this subject with John
Wiles, and UL.

The key phrases in Section 690.4 are "Different Systems" and "other
systems". The input and output circuits of a PV inverter are part of the
same system so this is not a violation of 690.4.  If you have the dc
input circuit and a branch circuit to a water heater in the same raceway
then you would have a violation of 690.4.

Clearly all the wiring must be rated for the highest voltage in the
raceway and you can not >> terminate << the dc and dc in the same
raceway or conduit.  This last point means no wire nuts, split bolts,
etc. in a raceway with both ac and dc in it.

Personally I think it would be a good idea to require the "energized
from multiple sources" labeling on raceways with AC and DC.  I have
already put this one in the 2005 code suggestions box.

On the topic of 2005 code:

Now it the time to put in your $0.02 for the 2005 code!! If you have
some ideas on things that need to added, eliminated, or clarified send
your suggestions and comments to John Wiles ASAP (jwiles at nmsu.edu). John
will send them to Ward who will star circulating them for comment.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.