AC/DC in Same Conduit? [RE-wrenches]

David Blecker blecker at earthsys.org
Thu Jul 11 11:12:06 PDT 2002

Hmmm...so the question then becomes, is there a safety or performance reason not to mix voltages?  I assume Martha Stewart would not approve of such things unless the conductors were color coordinated.

Or, is this an NEC conspiracy to sell more conduit?  I'm doing an PV install in remote Alaska for an locally owned utility.  No code inspectors nor NEC deities to frown upon our work.  Its a long run from the array to the building (500 feet) and the thought of installing 1000 feet of conduit for an AC and DC run doesn't make my newt within very joyful.

Thoughts?

-David

At 10:23 AM 7/11/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Wrenches:
>
>Now that I know there are NEC Goddesses, I'll have to pay more attention!
>(Not entirely off-topic, Michael :-) )
>
>Mixing of "separately derived" power sources within a single raceway,
>without a physical separation, to my knowledge has always been prohibited.
>This includes 480 VAC in the same conduit as 120 VAC, etc.
>
>I don't have time to dig out the reference(s) right this second, but, as
>Bill B said, "Do it and become a Newt".  Do Newts still exist?  I thought
>the last one retired a couple of years ago.....
>
>-Matt Lafferty
>pvpro at attbi.com
>
>David asks:
>
>> Can 120 VAC and high voltage (about 350 V) power cables be run in the same
>conduit without offending the NEC gods and goddesses?

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com