UV resistant cables and quick connects warranties [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Jun 29 12:47:06 PDT 2002

Bill and Joel,

As you are probably aware, I have stopped installing for LADWP customers
until the lockout is over.  Selling Siemens Shell modules in L.A. was a
no brainer with the extra $1.50 per watt L.A. manufacturer’s incentive.
Now I have to compete with the plug and play crowd in CEC territory.
Many of these guy’s are installing modules with quick connects, which
keeps the labor and overall installation prices reduced.  I am having
difficulty finding out if manufacturer installed MC wiring and
connectors are included in the overall module warranty?  Would it be
best if module manufacturers included the option of quick connects,
which would be cut to the proper length by the installer and then
connected inside the J box?  This could be done in shop, wouldn’t take
much time per module, would make service calls easier in the future,
eliminates the module warranty question and still allows for quicker and
easier work on the roof.

Upon completion of a (battery-less) solar installation I like to feel
confident that it will function without problems for well over a decade.
The temptation to install quick connects is obvious for a number of
reasons, but I am concerned about the potential for expensive service
calls in the future.  The cost to remove an array from a roof to replace
MC’s will not be cheap.  I hate to say this but I have addressed this
issue with contractors who “are looking forward to this work in the
future”.  Contractors in California working the rebate program have to
provide free service for five years and most feel confident the
connections will last for five years.

Do I worry too much about the future of the solar industry or is this an
important issue?  I have been told that there are hundreds of new PV
installers in California since the rebate program’s started.  Now that
we have solar rebate programs established they must not be allowed to be
withdrawn.  Otherwise the new installers will disappear and un-skilled
people will be attempting to repair systems in the future.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm