Hybrid PV/Battery/Generator [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 14 18:35:54 PDT 2002

Hi Jeff,
Commuting in portable power plants is still sci-fi, but so was a lot of stuff
we do nowadays.
1) I sat in on utility management discussions about cooperating with
combustion generator owners (hospitals, etc.) when wholesale electricity went
over $0.75/kWh in the summer of 2000. Splitting 50/50 where the generator got
$0.35 from the local utility and $0.35 from the ISO started to sound good to
everyone. We may be in that situation again.
2) April 2001, I listened to Stan Ovshinski (founder of ECD) and Bob Stemple
(ECD chairman and former General Motors CEO) talk about splitting the cost of
nickel metal hydride vehicle batteries 50/50 with the 1st user (EV owner) and
the 2nd user (stationary PV user) to reduce battery costs to each. Too bad
the younger generation is not as visionary.
3) You and I have watched PG&E get knocked off its high horse a few times.
That will happen again.
Hang in there. The future is what you make it.
>From one solar powered office to another via the world wide web. Now that's
sci-fi.
Joel Davidson
Culver City, CA