Hybrid PV/Battery/Generator [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Jun 14 09:02:30 PDT 2002

Joel:

Please don't misunderstand me, I think it is a great concept for backup
power.  Why have a big battery bank and inverter sitting around doing
nothing for 99% of the time when you have perfectly good power system in
your EV ?

For now load shifting with lead acid isn't cost effective even at
California rates but it is getting close. Hopefully the EV driven
battery revolution will give us high cycling batteries at a reasonable
price.

Has anyone tried load shifting this with NiFe (Edison cell) batteries ?
Are new ones even available any more ?
Given the incredible cycling performance of NiFe, I wonder if they could
drop the round trip energy cost into the cost effective range ( < 20
/kWh with CA TOU net metering).  The main drawback of NiFe is the high
self discharge but in a daily load shifting application this probably
wouldn't matter too much.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.