Hybrid PV/Battery/Generator [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 12 14:25:47 PDT 2002

If the purpose of the PV system is to offset utility power consumption, then
use a battery-less PV system. I'm not saying this because John Berdner is right
(he is). I have lived with an older SW4048 inverter on my grid tie PV system
with battery backup for 4 years. The system works fine (that's installer lingo
for no callbacks).

Define your UPS needs and serve them separately. I am still a strong believer
in separating zero-time power needs (computer, security, life support, phasers,
etc.) from other needs (lights, refrigerator, well pump, TV unless something
good is on, etc.)

I don't like combustion generators automatically turning on and off. We've all
heard stories about generators running without oil, cars with auto-start warmup
in Minnesota starting up in gear and driving through the wall, etc. The test of
a good UPS is that the least technical adults (or precocious pre-teens) should
be able to turn on lights, heat, water and communications during a power outage
in the dark without hurting themselves. A few well-marked switches are
appreciated.
Switch #1 - Turn this swith on first.
Switch #2 - Turn this switch on after turning on Switch #1.
Etc.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com