Inverters islanding in L.A. [RE-wrenches]

Pagan MacKay pagan.mackay at xantrex.com
Thu Jun 6 17:58:11 PDT 2002

Hello All,

This is a public forum open to many more readers than the members of the
list and I don’t think we want our comments to be turned into anyone’s
political agenda. That said, I feel a comment regarding the recent posts
about this issue is in order.

Here is a clear statement on the SW compliance and anti-islanding issue
(already on our SW information web site since December).
"Non compliant” inverters (ours or anyone else’s) should not be
installed under any circumstances.  All SW series inverters manufactured
since December 2001, when installed with the GTI accessory, comply with
UL1741 and IEEE 929 and are listed by both UL and CSA to those
standards.

We have even taken the additional step of stopping any installation that
was in process as of December 2001 and upgrading the hardware. Many of
you have participated in the WIP program designed to ensure homeowners
who purchased grid tie systems were minimally effected by the UL alert.
We've upgraded SWs, provided free GTIs, paid for all shipping charges
and we have compensation available to dealers to defray the cost of
taking out already installed equipment and replacing it.

Further, we have done extensive testing and supported significant
investigation by utility companies to show that older SW series units
already in service, while not compliant with latest standards, do not
present a material safety hazard and may safely be left in service.
This is the conclusion of the California owned utilities among others.

The “PV” version of the SW was our first “batteryless” grid connected
product in 1998 and 1999.  This product has not been offered since 1999
and only a few hundred units were ever produced.  SMUD purchased most of
these.  This product was listed to the draft standard of UL1741 which
was not harmonized with IEEE 929 and had different voltage, frequency
and time thresholds than the new standard which went into effect in
November of 2000.

I hope this helps clarify...if I can provide further information please
contact me.

Best,

Pagan

Pagan MacKay