Solar Lockout and the IBEW's need for a huge jug of prune juice [RE-wrench

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Sun Jun 2 09:08:19 PDT 2002

Jeff writes:

>  I think we need to keep our integrity
> and approach them a win/win attitude and with benefit-of-the-doubt if
> at all possible.  Perhaps we should check out their real concerns
> (even if they are mixed with some other agendas).

I agree and work in this manner.  My post in response to union installations
was in support of this ethic and reflects on only the installations I have
inspected and dealt with.  My opinion is that all of our installations need
to be done to a high standard to raise the confidence of various entities
concerned.  I have had better success dealing with non-union installers in
achieving this end.

It is important to understand that the IBEW affiliation at the Utility level
is not the same as the local Contractor level.  The Utilities utilize
Lineworkers which is generally an entirely different IBEW local dedicated to
just that Utility.  The Lineworkers have different training and concerns
than a standard IBEW Contractor for what should be obvious reasons.

For instance, as stated, backfeeding & islanding on the grid.  Because it's
a grid, it goes both ways.  It has multiple paths to get to the same point,
much like a highway system.  What we are doing by installing DG is putting
little, sometimes large, "entrance / exit ramps" all over the place.
Because it goes both ways, these ramps are both entrance & exit at the same
time.  We should be doing all we can to ensure there isn't an accident.

The "grid safety flag" these guys want to wrap themselves in is a tough one
to burn.  My opinion is that we shouldn't try to burn it, just fix it if it
is a problem.  That way, it is win-win.  We get better, safer, more reliable
equipment.  Our customers get better, safer, more reliable equipment.  The
Lineworkers get better, safer, more reliable equipment.  We all end up with
better understanding and ultimately a working relationship.

Just a perspective....

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

- - - -