On grid w/battery and MPPT [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed May 29 12:20:49 PDT 2002

Christopher and others,

I had this idea several years ago and wondered what you thought about it.
Assuming one was to use a grid tie battery based inverter and 6 volt
batteries.  Instead of the standard battery bank that floated @ 53.6 volts,
use a battery bank that floated @ 59.6 by adding one more 6 volt battery.
This also assumes that you can appropriately adjust the parameters of the
float and bulk voltages.  Would this system produce more kWh's annually
since you were running the array closer it's maximum power point?  I see
that I can adjust the Float and Bulk voltages on my SW4048 up to 64.0.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services
----------
>From: Christopher Freitas  -  OutBack Power <cfreitas at outbackpower.com>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: RE: On grid w/battery and MPPT [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Wed, May 29, 2002, 11:51 AM
>

>Even in the alternate universe called California the performance of a
>system without MPPT will be different if the batteries are located in a
>conditioned space versus an exposed location as in Bill Brooks example.
>

>Another factor affecting the performance will be the nominal system
>voltage - a 48 vdc system will benefit more from a MPPT than a 24 vdc
>system for several reasons, which we can discuss more if people are
>interested...
>
>I am very interested in seeing performance comparisons testing of
>products by a third party - as long as the raw data is made available
>for review and a way to publicly comment on the results is provided
>(hint-hint).
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
>cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com