Connections and Understanding [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue May 21 05:42:57 PDT 2002

Matt and John B.,

Great input. The minute any of us think we know it all and stop learning is
the day we seal our ultimate fate. We absolutely need connectors to get the
costs down and the MC connector is a good one. Installers will always invent
ways to screw up installations, but I just have a bad feeling about a Y or
multiple-style harness with crystalline modules. Given the human tendency
for lazyness, I just see the years of pounding fusing into people's heads
going out the window with "clever" ideas from installers. Why do all those
pesky home runs when two wires will do. I'm not aware of any crystalline
module that can be paralleled into anything other than a SunnyBoy. Although
John B would love everyone to use SunnyBoy (I can't blaim him or disagree
with his biased opinion when it comes to batteryless systems), there are a
lot of other inverters out their that won't allow it. For now, the Y
connector should specify "use only in conjunction with specified modules for
use in parallel circuits with a SunnyBoy inverter". Currently, the
application is very limited. Once manufacturers catch on to the benefits, we
will see more inverters and modules made to take advantage of a Y-connector.
Keep pushing for improvement--we have a long way to go.

Bill.