Switches [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Thu May 9 08:41:16 PDT 2002

I guess every PG&E region is different. Around here they were adamant about wanting to put their lock on the unit in the ON position.

William Miller wrote at 07:51 PM 05/08/2002 -0700:

>use.
>>
>>Isn't the problem with those that they have fuses in them, and the utility
>wants no user-serviceable parts in the lockable disconnect? At least that's
>the way PG&E described it to us when they nixed ours awhile back.
>>
>>If the utility's lock is on the unit, and the fuse blows, the utility has
>to come out to help change it.
>>

>This is not my understanding.  I've been told fused disconnects are allowed
>but not preferred.  The utility does not lock the covers closed, it would
>only lock the switch off.  Therefore fuse replacement does not require the
>utilities assistance.
>
>I do use John Berdner's suggestion to bolt the cover closed.  This should
>keep children out, but it seems inelegant.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"One dead bulldozer means life to a trout stream, or a hundred bears, or a thousand trees."
                   Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Managing Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com