Solar Hot Water Systems - PV vs delta T control [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Thu May 9 06:20:25 PDT 2002

Question:

We are in Vermont which gets real cold in the winter and SHW systems are antifreeze
loop types. I have a Heliodyne system with AC pumps and a differential temperature
sensor controller. I am looking at the trade-offs of going to the PV powered pump
system vs the delta T control. I like the temperature sensor system as it will not turn on
the pump when the stored hot water is warmer than the collector temperature. I have
noticed in the very cold winter months that the pumps cycle on and off to make sure the
incoming collector water is at a higher temperature than the tank.

I can forsee a problem with the PV powered pump happly pumping cold water into a hot
tank because the PV panel is very efficiently running the pump (cold temp.) but the
collectors are not warm yet. I also notice that my PV panels shed snow quicker than my
hot water collectors.

Any experience out there?

Thanks,

David Blittersdorf