Trace Charge Controller Ratings [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Wed Apr 24 12:39:36 PDT 2002

Colleagues:

I am building a custom combiner.  I need to take the output of 5 PCB-10
combiners and combine them to feed a battery bank.  In searching for
Heinemann breakers I came across the Home Power article about high ampacity
circuit protection (Over Current Protection for Battery Powered Systems,
HP27-26.pdf).  I am still wondering how Trace gets away with using only the
Heinemann breakers as primary protection. While the breakers are rated at
25,000 AIC for DC circuits, who wants their equipment to handle that
current for the delay time required to trip this breaker?

The combiner I am designing will have a class T fuse behind the dead-front.
 I will route battery power through a Heinemann breaker to the class T
fuse, using the breaker as a disconnect switch for fuse replacement.  The
fuse will "back protect" the Heinemann breaker.  This concept is diagramed
below in ASCII-CAD:

Batt-----Heinemann----Class T-----Power distribution block------5 QOU
breakers-----5 PCB-10----20 string arrays

The lead between the Heinemann  and the fuse is no longer than 15 CM and
both components are in the same enclosure.

I appreciate any comments as to the suitability of the Heinemann breakers
as utilized by Trace and on my design philosophy.

William Miller

At 10:06 AM 4/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks for forwarding John Wiles' feedback. A practical and reasonable
>interpretation.
>Is the DC 175/DC 250 Disconnect from Xantrex rated 100%? There is no
>indication on the enclosure (or in the instructions)  that it is rated
>100% and that is what the inspector wants to see.
>
>Eric Smiley - Project Leader

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com