RE Equipment Standards and Ratings [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Fri Apr 19 09:03:07 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
At 06:46 PM 4/18/02 -0700, you wrote:

>YOU FOLKS ARE DEVELOPING THE STANDARDS, AND ARE THE DE-FACTO RATING
>ORGANIZATION!

Hi Richard,

In the end, there still needs to be standard procedures, adopted on an
industry-wide basis, that serve as the guidelines for doing the testing and
reporting the results, as Bill states so well.  That's not disagreeing with
what you're saying, as I'll explain.

The discussion going on here is EXACTLY the type of discussion that goes on
in every standards writing process, in every industry I ever worked
in.  It's lively, contentious, even heated at times, but at the end of the
day, what usually emerges is a consensus.  The thing that seems to be
missing here is a national professional/trade organization that is formally
guiding the process toward a widely understood and agreed-upon
goal.  Without that, we all just get frustrated.

I'm not talking about nebulous 3rd parties, and I'm not talking at all
about testing agencies.  I'm talking about standards writing, by itself,
pure and simple.  Within every maturing industry, there always winds up
being at least one organization, made up of trade professionals like this
group, that takes on the mission of writing, publishing and promoting
performance standards for that industry.  In our case, it's not obvious
what organization that will be, although we do know who's been doing the
good work to date, the work that will form the basis of the standards that
emerge.  To Bill and all the others, thanks, and keep up the good fight.

An effective standards-writing organization will be national in scope, it
must be willing to take on the job, and it must have or earn the necessary
credibility, so that the standards it produces will be widely
recognized.  The last point is very important, because often the
manufacturers have to be dragged to the table kicking and screaming.  I
don't think that's the case here, but once a formal process picks up a head
of steam, you never know.

Sandia?  No, it's not their mission to write standards for private
industry, I don't think, but they and NREL would be a major contributors.

UL/NEC?  No, they're mission is public safety.  Performance standards are
outside their scope.

IEEE?  Maybe, if they (and we) are interested.  They certainly have the
credibility, and this would be well within the scope of their
standard-writing activities.  If the wrenches don't take this bull by the
horns, the utilities eventually will in a few years time, and IEEE is the
likely place where they would go anyway, so it merits consideration.

ASES?  I'd like to see it start there, because they have our interests most
at heart.  Are they interested, and can they marshal the resources?

Any other suggestions?

A well written standard covers not only methods, but deals with ALL the
endless details of test configurations (where to locate the shunts, where
to connect the meter leads, how accurate the meters must be, etc, etc,
etc).  Also, the exact formulas for computing every specified result.

Once you have the standards, you don't need the ETLs and Sandias to conduct
the tests, in order for them to have weight.  Any third party with the
right equipment can conduct them.  There may still be disputes about
whether the tests were performed correctly, but not about the tests themselves.

Am I missing something?  Who are we looking to, to take the PV system
performance standards job, and run with it?  And where should it end up?

Regards,
John Raynes
RE Solar
Sandy UT