Trace C60 Rating [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 18 16:12:21 PDT 2002

Larry,

The C-40 can handle up to 63 amps for very short periods, but I have seen
several C-40s fail when presented with a constant 55 amps. It's a very
robust controller, but it ain't superman. The idea behind the original
rating was to factor in the 1.56 factor from the beginning since most
installers took current ratings at their face value. This is the only
controller in my experience that took that approach. I believe it to be the
proper approach (even though installer still insist on putting 50 amp+
arrays on it because it is "designed" to take it). All other controllers
should be treated as being able to handle only 80% of their rating for
continuous operation unless you have good information otherwise.

Bill.