Solus 8 cuft chest type freezer (12volt) [RE-wrenches]

Foster, Robert rfoster at nmsu.edu
Mon Mar 25 18:25:30 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

Mark,

We have been testing the SOLUS refrigerator (now renamed SunDanzer)
for the past year and half in NM for NASA and also more recently in
Mexico and Guatemala (NASA holds patent rights).  The refrigerator
has worked well and is a dc drive unit which uses a variable speed dc
compressor that is direct coupled to the module using peak power
point tracking.  Units are either 12 or 24 V nominal dc.  They have a
battery free unit with ice storage (which uses a phase change
water-glycol ice storage at about 30F).  This is good for about 5-6
days of cold storage if cloudy (depends on your ambient temp).  We
would switch out 7 gallons of water every day to exercise the unit
and it had no problem keeping up during a hot NM summer (exposed to
ambient conditions).  If you do not use the refrigerator on a regular
basis and it is always sunny, it could eventually act as a freezer
(with cooler ambient temperatures, so don't use as a vaccine
refrigerator).  The refrigerator draws about 50-55 Watts, although
you need a module larger than that to run it (for compressor
start-up).  The manufacturer recommends 90 - 150 Watts (depending on
your solar resource).  We actually successfully ran a unit here in
sunny New Mexico on 80 Watts, but that did cause increased start-up
attempts in the morning (more cycling), so best to stick to the 90 W
minimum.  Since you can eliminate batteries and an inverter - and
thus less modules, capital cost savings for the direct drive ice
storage refrigerator is pretty good as compared to more conventional
PV refrigeration approaches.

SunDanzer also has a battery powered refrigerator unit (dc) which
draws about 2.2 A at 24 V and does have thermostat control.  Of
course, why use batteries if you don't have to, so the battery driven
unit is only for when you need fine temperature control or for less
sunny climes.

You can download a short report presented on preliminary SOLUS
testing at the past ISES conference from our website under
publications (US) at

http://solar.nmsu.edu

There will also be a presentation by NASA on the technology at the
upcoming ASES conference in Reno this summer (also where SunDanzer is
based).

See the SunDanzer website for specs at

www.sundanzer.com

SunWize is the distributor for the U.S.

Hope this is helpful.

Robert Foster
SW Region Solar Experiment Station - NMSU

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com