Tracker efficiencies, etc. [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson freepower at freepower.co.nz
Mon Mar 25 02:03:48 PST 2002

Hullo again,

I think that the degree of loss in irradiance is a separate and less
significant issue from the ability of the panel to produce when the angle
is not optimized.
I have found significant variation in performance loss between the main
panel technologies when the angle is not optimized...

In simple words if you set up a jig with different panel brands of the
same rating, at the same acute angle to the sun, there will be significant
performance differences.

If the panels are all face on to the sun the performance will even out.

Carl Emerson.

hugh piggott wrote:

> At 3:21 pm -0600 24/3/02, John Raynes wrote:
> >What was surprising though, was his data showed that departing from
> >optimum tilt, or azimuth (departure from true south), up to +/- 15%
> >or so for fixed arrays, has little effect on total daily KWh.
>
> An error of 10 degrees in the angle of the module, relative to the
> sun, will only result in 1.5% loss of solar irradiance.  At 15
> degrees it's 3.5% loss.
>
> --
> Hugh

- - - -