Tracker efficiencies, etc. [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Sun Mar 24 12:14:54 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Hello Carl

At 07:53 +1200 03/25/2002, Carl Emerson wrote:
>Richard,
>
>Further comment about the graph,
>
>I guess I am surprised to see that the Zomeworks and the Wattsun have equal
>output by 9.30 after the array has flipped.
>
>With the Wattsun being dual axis maybe the Zomeworks rack was angled to favour
>the morning sun.

The Zomeworks had an elevation adjustment just prior to this bit of
data logging. To my way of thinking, Zomeworks should have their
elevation axis (north-south) manually adjusted at least four times
yearly.

>Does this also mean that the advantage of dual vs. single axis
>tracking is quite
>small ?

Azimuth tracking (that is, east to west) shows the biggest benefit.
But, if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of tracking at
all, then it's only a small price increase to get tracking on the
elevation axis also. And there are energy gains for adding this
second axis, particularly during the long days of summer. The ability
to easily clear snow from the array is a big operating convenience
for the user.

Another factor which effects tracker energy gains mechanical geometry
of the tracker--tilt and roll (as in the Zomeworks), or
azimuth/elevation (as with the Wattsuns). There are many summer
mornings where, here at 42 degrees North, the sun is shining on the
back of the Zomeworks-tracked array, while the Wattsun has azimuth
tracked way east to catch this early morning sunshine. And the
further north you go (south in your case, below the equator), the
more time the sun spends north of the east-west line, and shining on
the backs of the modules rather than the fronts.

>Comparative Amp/hour readings for a whole day would be interesting also.

I agree, and we're working on this. It's requiring a new DAQ setup
complete with dedicated computer. We hope to have this operational by
this fall.

Richard

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com