Tracker efficiencies - generalized [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Thu Mar 21 11:59:36 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

Hi Baran,

Bemused, curmudgeonly rambling:

What's the warranty on the tracker compared to the warranty on the
modules? When we do comparisons of tracking vs. fixed arrays, do we
factor in replacing the trackers one to three times over the life of
the array? Do we factor in service calls for malfunctioning trackers?
Even if they are great gear, are they as reliable as PVs?

Maybe simpler is better?

Ian

PS - I realize that it's hard to put a value on the neat-o factor of trackers.

>Hi again Wrenches,
>
>My thanks to all of you who have taken their time to further my education
>about trackers (including Zo(m)eworks).  Given the popular support that
>trackers enjoy with this crowd, can anyone educate me or direct me regarding
>the following problem.  First off, I live in Redding, CA.  We have close to
>the tops in the nation in daylight hours received per year.  I use Sunny Boy
>inverters (who doesn't?) almost exclusively, as I know what I can expect
>from them and their company (infinite kudos to John, Kent, Vince, et al.)
>Given a conservative estimate of 6 hours (average) of full power sun per
>day, I can run 24) 12 volt - 120 watt panels and maximize the inverter based
>upon my daily sunlight estimate.  Here is where it gets sticky.  Tracker
>companies give an estimated19% to 34% average efficiency improvement
>depending on variables they won't touch with a ten-foot pole.  How do I
>begin to work them into my bid equation regarding the number of PV panels
>that I would reduce my system by for the same output?  Perhaps the question
>is better phrased as follows:  Can anyone share data based upon fixed
>arrays, seasonally adjustable arrays, daily tracking arrays, and
>daily/seasonal tracking arrays?  I can add quite a few extra fixed panels to
>offset the price of one WattSun AZ-300 given the obvious and hidden extras
>that are entailed.
>
>Any and all opinions, data, and or bemused ramblings are welcome.  You can
>contact me off-list if desired.  Thanks, again.
>
>Baran Galocy DBA HelioElectric
>livewire at c-zone.net
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Fax: 360-293-7034
Associate Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power
Editors are Professional Idiots - We misunderstand text so our readers won't.

800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
<http://www.homepower.com>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm