Smoke alarms [RE-wrenches] CORRECTION

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems ellison at gisco.net
Fri Mar 8 08:09:27 PST 2002

Here is another correction.
I just had a long conversation with a tech (John) at BRK / First Alert and
here is the jist of the conversation.

No manufacturer that he is aware of (and he knows all of the competition)
makes a smoke alarm that will function properly on mod sine power. There is
an internal resistor that will blow from the spikes.
He can not recommend installing a DC alarm and running it off a transformer
from the batteries as it will void the UL listing and open everyone up to a
bunch of legal problems if anything goes wrong.

All in all it was an interesting conversation and they are sending me a
battery replacement for my alarm as it was recalled 13 years ago.
Thanks to Frank for the heads up on the recall. Too bad, it seemed to work
fine, but I never gave it the final test, luckily.

Bob

RE. Ellison
Supplier of;
Diesel Generators &