EQ guidelines [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Mar 2 11:36:51 PST 2002

Wrenches,

While we are on the subject of batteries I have another question.  How
long is a battery bank specifically used for “grid-connected back-up”
power going to last?  I had assumed that because these batteries are not
cycled daily that they would last about 7 years.  I have recently been
informed that these batteries receive a constant “ripple cycle" from the
grid-connected inverter and at most the batteries will last for 3 years.
 I think it is very important issue that installers (with mandatory full
5 year warranties in California) need to know.

I am wondering if this 3-year expectation is correct and if so I am glad
that I have only been installing straight net-metering systems for grid
connected applications.  Many people called last year during the rolling
blackouts seeking information about solar backup power systems.  My
advice then was to purchase an APC system, remove the cover and connect
more batteries.  I still direct some callers to
www.apc.com/products/back-ups/index.cfm

Graham Owen
GO Solar

- - - -