Anodized PV frames on copper roof in marine environment [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee, Solutions from the Land ghigbee at efn.org
Thu Feb 21 13:46:52 PST 2002

Hi Wrenches,

I'm working on a PV design that may utilize a several kW array mounted on a
copper standing seam roof, and which is on the beach. We've located a clip
arrangement for the roofing, and hope to use arrays of Siemens ST40's,
which, with a custom mount, fit neatly in between the seams (with a small
gap under). The modules are to be mounted with SS bolts onto brass blocks
that attach to the roof seams.

The ST40's have a bronze anodized frame, and I'd appreciate any comments
those of you who have worked in marine environments have regarding the
long-term effects of salt air on PV module frames. This copper roof is there
for a long time, and we want the PV modules to be there (and looking good)
for a long time, too!

Do you think the bronze anodized frames will still look uniformly bronzed
after 20 years?

Are there any coatings you'd suggest? We've considered some sort of marine
paint or sealer on the frames, but then we've got color-shift issues and the
possibility of moisture building up under the coating.

Have any of you worked with copper or standing-seam roof mounts? Any tips?

If you have done module installs on metal roofs do you still ground each
module frame?

Thank you!

Gary

           Gary Higbee  (ghigbee at efn.org)
              (541)607-1818 (Eugene)
             (541)902-8544 (Florence)
Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
    Components dealer and installation assistance
              ~Solutions from the Land~

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com