How about Lightning Damage? [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Feb 16 17:33:37 PST 2002

Jerry Caldwell wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen a module pigtail of USE-2 with
> the insulation totally cooked off the wire for several
> inches?  Is this likely to be lightning damage?
>
> Also, what brands & models of lightning arrestors
> would wrenches recommend, or not recommend for use
> with Sunny Boy or other high voltage systems?
>
> Jerry Caldwell

Jerry,

Arcing from loose connection, or possibly moisture intrusion most likely
caused the burnt USE pigtail.

We use Delta AC surge arrestors for installations in Los Angeles.  We
install the cans on the AC disconnect. Here there is a much greater
likelihood of an AC line surge from the grid than a lightning strike.  I
think most inverter manufacturers specify their protection preferences
in the installation manual.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com