Repair of broken PV modules [RE-wrenches] How about Lightning Damage?

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Fri Feb 15 22:34:26 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Davidson [mailto:joeldavidson at earthlink.net]
<snip>
How about lightning damage to solar modules (not controllers, inverters
or batteries)? I have never had a solar module damaged by lightning.
<snip>

I haven't seen damage to the module, but I've seen the blocking diodes
in the J-boxes blown to cosmic dust a number of times. Several of the
used Siemens 75w modules we brought back from Belize last year had
vaporized diodes, which means...no output power. If you open the j-box
on a "dead" module and find only the diode wires hanging in space with
nothing connecting them anymore, that's lightning!

-Doug Pratt

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm