L-16s like higher voltages [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Thu Jan 17 19:37:22 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
>2.) Check each cell to make sure they are relatively equal (within .010 on a
>hydrometer, or .05 on a voltmeter).
>
>Re-reading my post I see that I forgot to say how often to check for unequal
>cells. I recommend once per month during cloudy periods on most PV systems
>and once every two or three months during sunny times when the batteries are
>fully charged a few times per week on average.
>Dave

To make it easiest, keep a chart or mark the cells that tend to be
low. Normally, it will always be the same one(s). For frequent tests,
like every month or three, just check just one generally-low cell
against a generally high one.

Be warned with hydrometer that as full charge approaches, the
readings tend to lag behind, then pop up rather suddenly and not, of
course, at the same time. This is because the electrolyte is heavier
down in the plates than up on top, until it finally mixes. That leads
to far-exaggerated differences between cell s.g.

Don't forget to drip some acid on your jeans.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm