grounding array/sunny boy [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 14 10:09:34 PST 2002

My opinion is to float the array. It is an easy stand to take since the
rest of the world (90%+ of the PV world market) floats the array. I
think, in many ways, grounding the array is more dangerous than floating
it. There are simple ways to detect ground faults on floated arrays
without having to detect current flow through a grounded conductor.
There is no way to fully protect against ground fault current. All you
can do is detect a problem and put out a warning.

What about the >300V battery systems? NEC does not allow them to be
grounded. And they are an infinite source of current compared to current
limited PV array. I always found this funny when installing large hybrid
systems.

Floating the array also removes the need for an AC isolation
transformer, which will improve system efficiency by 3-7% and reduce
inverter cost by 10-20%.

There are many more benefits, but this would turn into long
dissertation.

Regards.
Kent Sheldon
Manager, Industrial Power Systems