grounding array/sunny boy [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 12 15:20:13 PST 2002

Jay, the Sunny Boy 2500U does ground the PV negative and it has three AC
connections: L1, L2 and PE. The PE connection is not common to either L1
or L2. And it is not inherently common with the AC building neutral.
However, it will appear to be common to the AC neutral through the
system chassis grounds, a ground conductor connected to PE, or any other
paths to earth/neutral ground. If you isolate the SB2500 from the ground
grid (remove all AC and DC connections), you will find that L1 and L2
are not common to PE or the chassis.

The PV negative is grounded inside the inverter through a 1A fuse. This
is consistent with the requirements of NEC 690. You cannot ground the
array anywhere else, or you will create a ground fault, causing the fuse
to clear and the inverter to stop functioning until the other ground is
removed and the fuse is replaced. So you only need to connect PV + and -
to the inverter. The inverter will ground the array per NEC 690.

Let me know if you have any further questions, regards.
Kent Sheldon
Manager, Industrial Power Systems
SMA America
925 513 8813 Brentwood Office (Primary)