array disconnects and code compliance [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Wed Jan 9 15:27:46 PST 2002

Marco:

The requirements for the PV disconnect are found in 690-13 through
690-17.
Normally, over current protection is required to protect the array
wiring and so a fused disconnect would be used.
There is no code problem using the fused version of the disconnect, it
just costs more.
Also, UL requires a fuse in series with the modules to prevent fires in
the module caused by backfeed current.
If you use a fused disconnect and can make sure the fuse rating is <=
the UL series fuse rating and >= than 1.56* Isc the fuses in the
disconnect  can be used to meet the UL requirement.
While it will provide some protection for the inter-module wiring this
is not the primary purpose.

Steve Jochums (the PV module guy at UL) once gave me some advice I have
found helpful in when thinking about these things.
He told me to think of a PV module as a piece of wire that just happens
to have this weird PV characteristic.
The UL series fuse rating is effectively the "ampacity" of the weird
piece of wire.
As long as the available fault current from all the other sources is
less than the UL series fuse rating then you don't need the UL series
fuse.
Once you start thinking of modules in this way it makes it easy to
figure out what over current protection you need where.

The Sunny Boy has been tested and it will not backfeed a fault in the
array and this is why we can use an unfused disconnect..
No back feeding lets you take advantage of exception (b) in Article
690-9.
Since the inverter will not contribute fault current then you do not
need any over current protection as long as:
1) The ampacity of all the wiring in the system is greater than short
circuit currents from all paralleled strings, i.e. 1.56* Isc, and
2) The UL Series fuse rating of the module is greater than 1.25 * Isc*
(n-1); where n = the total number of paralled strings
When you do the fault current calculations you can show that over
current protection is not needed for one or two strings.
I have a paper on this that I can send to people about this - contact me
offline if you are interested.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please
do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.