air-to-air hx [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed Jan 2 19:44:07 PST 2002

Kirk,

Have you heard of operable windows?  :)

I've done quite a bit of research trying to find low energy units. To my
knowledge, they are not made. These are consumer items, and consumers
compare the heat recovery efficiency, not the motor ratings. I've talked
directly to manufacturers (venmar and Mitsubishi, I think) and they have no
interest in retrofiting or supplying a good motor.

No reason, other than time and money, that you could not put a good DC
motor onto the unit to replace the AC motor.

What I did in theone case where the home owner HAD to have one, is we
worked with Memphremagog HX (David Hansen, 800-660-5412, in Newport), who
was installing the unit. We got him to increase the size, thus allowing him
to decrease the fan speed (more HX area, less pressure drop, and more
efficient performance). Going from high (normal design) to medium speed cut
power use by over 1/3. Also, these units are typically now put on timers
(20 minutes on, 40 minutes off, with overrides in bathrooms and kitchens).
These two measures make the units more conserving.

As an option, you might be able to get just the HX part of one of these
units (maybe as parts from David H.) and put DC motor driven fans outboard.
But do you really want to be in the HRV (heat recovery unit) design and
manufacturing business?

Jeff

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm