SEI NW workshops, Spring 2003 [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Fri Dec 20 13:04:06 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

Please spread the word to your friends, relations, and colleagues!

Solar Energy International (SEI) is presenting four workshops in
Washington state in April 2003:

April 5: Intro to Renewable Energy * Tuition $75
April 7-12: PV Design & Installation * Tuition $550
April 14-19: Homebuilt Wind Generators with Hugh Piggott * Tuition $550
April 21-24: Microhydro-Electric Systems * Tuition $450

See below for more information. You can register through SEI in
Colorado (contact info below). See SEI's cancellation policy and
other details at http://www.solarenergy.org/reepgen.html before you
register.

Lodging and logistics information for the workshops is available upon request.

A full pictorial report on our last workshop with Hugh Piggott is
available at
http://homepages.enterprise.net/hugh0piggott/SEIpics/index.htm

I hope you can join us. Don't wait until the last minute to register.
We turned people away last time around.

Regards,

Ian Woofenden
Solar Energy International NW Coordinator
Senior Editor, Home Power magazine

Please pardon on duplications of this mailing. Let me know and I'll
try to track them down and eliminate them.

---
Introduction to Renewable Energy
Overview of solar, wind, and water power
Classroom sessions & system tours
Saturday, April 5 - Tuition: $75

Solar-Electric (PV) Design and Installation
Learn to use solar-electric technology!
Classroom sessions, tours, and complete installation
Monday-Saturday, April 7-12 - Tuition: $550

Homebuilt Wind Generators
How to build wind generators-from scratch!
Classroom and shop sessions
Guest Instructor: Hugh Piggott, Scoraig Wind Electric, Scoraig, Scotland
Monday-Saturday, April 14-19 - Tuition: $550

Microhydro-Electric Systems
Harness small streams for home independence!
Classroom sessions, labs, system tours, and hands-on work
Monday-Thursday, April 21-24 - Tuition: $450

Classroom sessions will be held at Guemes Island Community Center.

*****

INTRODUCTION TO RENEWABLE ENERGY
This is an overview workshop of solar-electric, wind-electric, and
microhydro-electric technologies. Participants   will learn how to
evaluate each resource and plan for high quality systems. Tours of
renewable energy systems will supplement classroom sessions.
Topics Include:
* Why Renewables?
* Solar-Electric, Wind-Electric, & Microhydro-Electric Systems
* System Siting & Design Principles
* Energy Conservation & Efficiency
* Resources for Further Study

SOLAR-ELECTRIC (PV) DESIGN and INSTALLATION
Learn to use photovoltaic technology to produce your own electricity.
Workshop participants learn system sizing, site analysis, hardware
specification, and component selection. Install a complete,
operational system in the field with current renewable energy
equipment. This workshop is for the novice who wants to use PV and
for those seeking employment in the solar industry
Topics include:
* Basics of Electricity
* PV System Components & Sizing
* Energy Efficient Appliances
* Solar Site Analysis
* Electrical Wiring

Other activities include:
* Tours of PV Residences
* Industry Guest Speakers
* Laboratory Exercises
* Hands-on Field Installation

HOMEBUILT WIND GENERATORS
Participants in this workshop will learn to build a working wind
generator from scratch. This is a shop class, and will  include
carving blades, winding alternators, and constructing and assembling
all parts of a wind generator.
Topics include:
* Designing and carving wooden blades
* Alternator theory and design
* Winding coils
* Fitting magnets into homebuilt alternators
* Governing systems
* Yaw and tail design & construction
* Wiring & fabrication
* Construction details

Guest Instructor: Hugh Piggott of Scoraig Wind Electric, Scoraig, Scotland
For more information, see http://homepages.enterprise.net/hugh0piggott/buildyo

MICRO-HYDRO ELECTRIC SYSTEMS
This workshop teaches how to design a fully functional micro-hydro
electric system. Learn site evaluation, including how to measure and
estimate head and flow. Perform preliminary system sizing and design
for mechanical and electrical power generation of 50 watt to 100
kilowatt capacities. The workshop will include classroom sessions,
tours of systems, lab sessions, and a tour of Canyon Industries, a
hydro turbine manufacturer.
Topics Include:
* System Components
* Turbine Types
* AC & DC Systems
* Site Analysis & System Design
* Battery Storage & Controls
* Troubleshooting & Maintenance
* Hybrid Systems
* Case Studies

Registration:
Solar Energy International
PO Box 715
Carbondale, CO 81623
970-963-8855
Fax: 970-963-8866
sei at solarenergy.org
www.solarenergy.org

Information, logistics, and lodging
Ian Woofenden, SEI NW Workshops Coordinator
PO Box 1001, Anacortes, WA 98221
360-293-7448 (home), Fax: 360-293-7034
ian.woofenden at homepower.com

--