Hey Matt [RE-wrenches]

Pat Redgate solarpro at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 20:51:54 PST 2002

Thass a good info on the thin film and history of defects.  It's good to hear
you on the wrenches continuum again.  On our tour in Sac (thank you) I just
could not stop myself from thinking about how fragile the glass seems without
a framewall and how HUGE the foot(roof) print is!!  I know that there are
hardly any residential roofs down here with a single orientation that would
give me a SunnyBoyfull (2500).  And what is it about performance on thin film
that impresses you so much?  Is it their ability to keep pumping on the dog
days of summer?  Is the rate of degradation really that much of an
improvement over crystalline?  Does the lower $$/watt really make up for the
additional labor?  I mean, what IS it about thin film that has charmed you
so??

And, something else about our visit... Is tracking more important for thin
film performance or is that feature, which seemed so prevalent on the systems
we visited, employed just because the utility has money to throw at these
installations and it seems like a good idea?  I know that tracking will
enhance the output of any solar system, mono, poly, thermal, etc., but does
it really pay to do it this way?  We saw a number arrays there were not
tracking and maintenance has got to be a royal pain in the ass.  Have you
ever done a study to determine whether or not tracking is 'cost effective' or
does it just extend "payback" when you add in the marginal setup cost, long
term maintenance and parasitic energy loss?  Just wondering.  I know that a
long time ago so many of us thermal dudes just gave up on rotational systems,
even though Zomeworks had a pretty good setup in the eighties.

Oh.. and uno mas.  One summer we had a real heat wave... I think it was '89.
During August we lost about thirty US Solar (thermal) 4x10 glazing.  It seems
that the glass would expand and exert force on the box or framewall.  The fix
was to reinstall the glass and without near so many screws, especially along
the top.

Bye

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
Long Beach, CA
(562) 595-9570
<A HREF="www.amecosolar.com">www.amecosolar.com</A>

PS:  graham is in Sacramento tomorrow (gets there tonight)

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael.welch at homepower.com