hydronic heat system [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems ellison at gisco.net
Wed Nov 27 14:24:45 PST 2002

Who out there can help me cut the power usage of a customers hydronic heat
system?
It is by far his largest load and we want to help it go away!

He has the lower level  and the garage done as an infloor system and the
upper level in baseboard.

The system presently has (4)  007 taco pumps 70 watt loads each. 3 feeding
the zones and 1 to circulate from the wood burning furnace. The furnace pump
has already been reduced to a taco 007 pump from a 1/8 horse model it
originally ran 24 hours drawing 130 watts if memory serves me.

What I am wondering is if there are any thermostat controlled solenoids to
put the baseboards upstairs and the garage on the same pump? That will
eliminate one of the pumps.

Any Ideas for power efficient pumps to use in this situation?
Is the solenoid possible? The upstairs would need to take precedent over the
garage. The concrete will hold the heat easier, but gain it harder.

Needless to say I did not do the heating system. It also is not my area of
expertise (if I have one).

He is presently charging with a generator as there is no money for the solar
or wind at the moment. That will have to come later.

Have a great holiday,

Thanks,
Bob

RE. Ellison