green water part 2 [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Nov 21 14:55:06 PST 2002

Since my last message, I checked the plumbing on the West end of the
house where the meter main is and found that indeed it is bonded to the
neutral /ground buss of the electrical panel. The ground rod is also
solidly and electrically bonded to this bus. Just for the heck of it I
opened the crawl space hatch in a closet in the east end of the house
and pounded a 8' copper coated steel rod in. My meter showed ~170 micro
volts DC from both the hot and cold lines to ground at like .01 ma. I
bonded these together and will see now if that stops the green water
syndrome. It IS curious that there was any current flow considering the
other end of the same pipes is also grounded. I will let you know in a
few months if that resolves the mystery of the green water. If so it
proves that even extremely tiny currents can electro-chemically dissolve
copper from plumbing... in solar DHW systems and the necessity of making
sure everything is electrically "0" with regard to everything else.

Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm