Needa Jake [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Oct 17 12:59:47 PDT 2002

Wrenches,
One-line synopsis: Looking for 32V Jacobs Windcharger or parts for a
restoration.

One of our clients just bought an off-grid property with a high-quality
1986-era 32V PV/wind system based around a long-case Jacobs Wind Electric
Plant on a 60' tower. It's the clients' retirement dream home. However, the
Jake was allowed to run for a long time with a failed lead main shaft
bearing. It has a severely grooved armature shaft, scored windings, scored
laminations on both rotor and stator, and gouged bearing pillow block. The
saddle that attaches the case to the yaw shaft could use replacement.  And
the blades could use some restoration as well.

Both we and the clients want to use the existing 32V system and fly the bird
again, rather than going with modern voltage and equipment. We have
considered one of Robert Preus's rebuilt Jakes and have not rejected this
option, but the original DC feed from the Jake to the basement is only two
conductors, using self-excited field coils, and Robert uses a 3- or 4-wire
input feed. We have located a used short-case (1800W) unit locally, and may
also go that route. But our first preference is to repair the existing
equipment.

So please reply (off-list is OK) if you have a 32V long-case (2800
watts/40V/70A) Jacobs Windcharger for sale, working or not, complete or not,
or have related advice.

Thanks in advance.
Allan
allan at positiveenergysolar.com