600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

jberdner at sma-america.com jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Oct 11 12:06:18 PDT 2002

Wrenches:

We are in very close contact with Square D concerning the HU361 switch.
We are talking with several people inside the company including the
product engineer responsible for the switch.  It >> might << be possible
to use the switch at up to 600 Vdc but certainly NOT at 30 Amps.  We are
running some UL tests soon and will report the findings.

Square D tech support is incorrect concerning the Listing with 1 pole in
series at 600 Vdc. Technically the Switch is UL Listed for 600 Vdc motor
loads (rectified 480 Volt, 3 phase).  In that configuration they
recommend putting one pole in the positive to the load and one pole in
the negative to the load.  If you are wiring 2 poles in series then it
makes sense to separate them as far as possible so use the two outside
poles.  For PV systems, Article 690 prohibits the use of a switch in the
grounded conductor (but GFDI's are allowed) so Square D suggests wiring
2 poles in series with (both in the positive conductor) hence a jumper
between the poles.

RANT ON:
The whole grounding paranoia we have here in the US makes no sense to
me.  It seems like the regulatory and inspector community has had
"ground everything" beaten into them for so long they have forgotten to
ask why we do it in the first place. IMHO, the array should be floating,
not grounded, at all times and certainly when you work on it.  Solidly
grounding the array gives you a single fault lethal hazard which seems
stupid to me.  Fortunately the Sunny Boy's ground fault fuse IS the
connection to ground and it is allowed to be there by Code because it is
part of the GFDI.  I STRONGLY suggest everyone should remove the GFDI
Fuse (after you open the DC disconnect of course) when ever you are
installing or servicing the array.  DO NOT assume, however, that the
array is ungrounded since it could have a ground fault or other problem.

Remember: A dead arrays is like an unloaded gun - There ain't no such
thing.
RANT OFF:

A couple other points on the Listing of the HU361 - The terminals are
approved for 2 wires per terminal so you can parallel the positives for
two strings in the dc disconnect.  Also be sure to wire the array
positive to the line side of the pole 1, the jumper from the load side
of pole 1 to the line side of the pole 3, and the inverter to the load
side of pole 3.

If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.