600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Sep 17 21:42:46 PDT 2002

Colleagues:

Those of you who have installed the Sunny Boy inverters have used the 600
VDC rated switches, such as the Siemens HNF261.  It is interesting how the
manufacturers achieve the 600 volt rating:  They use a 3 pole disconnect
and put two of the poles in series.   This way, the contacts break two
times at the same moment.

A few months ago I was unable to obtain a 2 pole 600 VDC disconnect in
short order, so at the same price I was able to purchase a three pole unit.
 Lo and behold, the series jumper was missing and the cover showed a rating
of only 250VDC.  I since learned that because only three pole devices are
commonly manufactured, if you need to use all three poles separately, you
can not occupy two of them in series, therefore you can not achieve the 600
volt rating.

Should we switch the positive lead?  I submit that there may be a safety
advantage to switching the negative.  The Sunny Boy takes the negative to
ground.  If the negative is left connected, the array still has potential
to ground.  If the negative is switched, the array is floating, therefore
no (or less) shock hazard.  We know this because my helper got zapped
today.  We are still discussing the ramifications so as to avoid this in
the future.

Here's another idea:  Why not switch both leads?  Siemens has a circuit
breaker that does the same trick, and the Siemens catalog contains a
drawing that shows one side of DC going through the two series poles and
the other side going through the one pole.  Is this how I should be wiring
the DC disconnects for Sunny Boys?

(BTW, the drawing on the cut sheet for the SB1800 shows only the positive
switched through one pole.)

Thanks for considering these nit picky, nerdy questions.  I believe it is
in considering these details that safety is achieved.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com