Low Head Hydro Workshop in PA during weekend of 18 OCT 02 [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Wed Sep 11 05:23:49 PDT 2002

Fellow wrenches,

Want to learn about Ultra Low Head Hydro?

Ron MacLeod has been at it for a very long while and is opening up his shop
(and head) to fellow wrenches 5 weeks from now.

The following is his announcement of the no cost event and his request to
RSVP at microhydro at dplus.net

His website is  www.waterturbine.com

Best wishes for a successful workshop.

Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - St. Louis Solar

Ultra Low Head Workshop is a happening thing - Scheduled for
October 18th- Friday - thru Sunday - also folks can hang for a few days
after to view more sites locally.-
    scheduled field trips include visits to 5 ultra low head sites from
2kw Dc to 20 Kw grid intertie  - heads from 3 ft to 8 ft. - Sunday trip
to one 20 Kw Intertie site on 14 ft head and My test site  7.5 ft of
head - one steel breast wheel at 1500 watts - one Nautilus at 1800 watts
and two low head powerpals - 200 watts and 500 watts - operating systems
charging batteries at 48 volts - w/ 2 5548 trace inverters in parallel .

    These trips are in addition to as many hours of classroom work as
possible - in my shop with slides - etc. The workshop goal is to give
dealers and a few individual sit owners a GOOD Sense of Low Head site
evaluation and design - and a sense of how water works in nature - and
how to harness it w/out damage to the environment.
    There will be a stiff load of history mixed in as this is an old
almost lost technology - My collection of engineering books and turbine
makers catalogs will be accessible and people will be able to physically
get their hands on a number if tiny to small low head machines and
Runners.
    We can put folks up with a good kitchen and Bath - rudimentary
sleeping facilities - fridge for the beer. Bring sleeping bags and
pillows ( I carry my favorite pillow everywhere) .
    Hey Richard - thanks for sending Joe along - we are going to have
fun! Never forget that if you want to see the gods smile - just make
long term plans - and ALWAYS eat your dessert first - If it ain't fun It
ain't worth doing -

Best Ron MacLeod

Please RSVP ASAP _ Thanks

- - - -