GFIs and AFCIs [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Aug 1 14:11:21 PDT 2002

Wrenches.
The following questions come from our local AHJ, who encountered something
he hadn't seen and asked us for advice. We didn't know either, and I offered
to send him answers from Wrenches. Hooray for an inspector who asks a Wrench
for help!

1. Who has experience with GFI breakers on inverter power? Do some work
better than others, especially with mod-square?
He discovered that on a system he was inspecting that had a DR inverter and
Square D service panel, the GFI breaker appeared to function OK at the
breaker, but a tester he used at a receptacle failed to trip the GFI
breaker. (By the way, he offered that in his experience Eagle brand GFI
receptacles were less susceptible to problems when test-tripping.)

2. Who has had any experience with Arc-fault circuit interrupters, required
by the 2002 code for bedrooms, when running on inverter power? I have seen
nothing on this topic.

Thanks for any help.
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -