I-V Curves [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Jul 20 15:40:34 PDT 2002

Wrenches,

I am trying to provide each of my PV customer’s comprehensive manuals,
which include diagrams, component manuals and performance information.
I am still unsure of the best way to trace and document I-V curves for
each individual installation.  I have a Day Star meter, Several Fluke
meters including an 867B graphical multimeter, AC/DC Amp Clamp and an
infrared temperature gun.  I feel confident that I am able to make sure
each system is working well and I can physically draw a graph on paper
with Amps on one axis and Volts on the other, but what is the best way
to correctly show the true slope curvature?  I want to be able to save
this information accurately in a database as well as print it out for my
customers.

I was just reading page 15 of the August/September Home Power magazine
and it mentions using “an electronic DC load device”.  I need to get
such a device but I am unsure what to purchase?   Matt Lafferty
mentioned that his I-V Tracer cost about $17,000 but I would be better
served investing a sum like that towards another work van.

I am still trying to learn as much as possible and it was only recently
I became aware that the secret magic ingredient inside all electronic
components is smoke.  And if I install the system correctly it will work
great, but if I do something wrong and let the smoke out a component it
will not work anymore.  I want to be sure that my testing of systems can
never let the smoke escape.

Graham Owen
GO Solar

- - - -