a smorgasbord of wind gennys [RE-wrenches]

Mangelsdorf, Marco mmangelsdorf at hei.com
Tue Jul 9 14:48:17 PDT 2002

I found the info below, provided by our friends at Ocean Solar in Oregon, very interesting as a comparison between mainstream  ~400-watt wind generators.  Any other comments out there on favorite/preferred wind gennys?

We investigated numerous turbines, and decided to run some tests. We liked the AIR-403 from Southwest Windpower (SWWP) <http://www.windenergy.com/PRODUCTS/air403.html>, because of the high power output for its size (rated at 400 watts), and the ability to throw a "stop" switch and greatly slow the unit. Unfortunately we found the machine to be unacceptably noisy, and there were stirrings of a neighborhood rebellion.

As well, we placed a couple AIR-403's several feet back on some south-facing roof dormers for architectural reasons-only to see the dramatic results of turbulent air. The turbines swung wildly around in the "dirty" air. It was obvious that because of its loud sound the AIR-403 would not work in a residential neighborhood. It was also obvious that regardless of the turbine we used we needed to make sure it was located in a zone of smooth airflow.

A much better location was identified on the west main roof of the house, which placed our prospective turbines in smooth air. With this place in mind we next tested the Ampair Pacific 100 generator <http://www.ampair.com>, considered to be exceptionally quiet and ruggedly built. This turbine proved to be much more quiet than the AIR-403, though not very powerful at a rated 100 watts, and without the ability to significantly slow the turbine in high winds if we wished.

After some weeks of testing it was felt that the Ampair was still not quite quiet enough for this neighborhood. We also found that the vibration from the turbine into the structure was unacceptable, and sought to rework the mounting system.

After hearing about the new AIR-X from SouthWest Wind Power <http://www.windenergy.com/PRODUCTS/airxmar.html>, we decided to try this unit. We were encouraged by the SWWP web site, and the suggestion of a SWWP technician. At low to moderate wind speeds the unit seemed as noisy as the AIR-403. We had heard that the noisy high-speed "flutter" had been eliminated from this unit, but we ruled this machine out immediately because of a loud "swishing-whooshing" sound heard throughout the neighborhood. In a residential setting this unit was unacceptably loud, even before we reached higher-winds. It is far from the "neighbor friendly" that SWWP advertises.

Finally we tried a couple Rutland 503 generators <http://www.marlec.co.uk/products/prods/rut503.htm>, small marine turbines that produce very little power (maximum of 50-60 watts in high winds). These units are exceptionally quiet, though they still reminded us of the vibration issue. For now we are reworking parts of the mounting system, and plan to use the Rutland units as "placeholders" until we have access to a quiet, low-vibration, more powerful turbine.

Note that all wind turbines were tested under load (connected to a battery), and in a range of wind conditions. While we found some of the units, especially the AIR-403 and AIR-X, to be unacceptable in this location we feel that they have their place-but not in residential neighborhoods!

We hope that Southwest Windpower, and other wind turbine manufacturers, put some of their resources into evolving generators that are truly "neighbor friendly." We believe that such a machine will be much in demand, and could allow more wind turbines to sprout in residential neighborhoods.

Marco Mangelsdorf, Ph.D.
Marketing and Sales
ProVision Technologies, Inc.
69 Railroad Avenue, Suite A-7