AC pumps w/ Transformer [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Sat Jul 6 15:53:49 PDT 2002

Hi All;

I just performed a test run with a DR 3624, Trace T220 Transformer (not the
new T240) running a 1.5 HP Franklin motored 220 vac submersible. Depth to
water was approx 350 ft, pressure switch was set at 25 on, 45 off.
Amazingly it worked without a hitch.

VDC = 23.9, DC A = 105 amps
VAC = 119.6rms, AC A = 23.3 amps (inverter out)
VAC = 233rms, 270pp, AC A = 11.4 (each leg out of transformer)

Measurements were made with a Trimetric for DC, a Fluke 36 for AC current,
and a Fluke 89 for AC voltage. As well, I looked at the waveform on a
handheld oscilloscope: normal modified sinewave at both sides of the
transformer. Because of the amperage, I couldn't use the Brand meter to
check power factor or in rush current. Neither the Trimetric or Fluke 36
were quick enough to measure any discernable starting surge AC or DC.
Lights also running on the inverter didn't dim. They flickered not on
starup, but slightly on shut off. I was suprised at the "soft start", since
other systems with SW inverters, T240 transformers and 1.5 HP pumps DO show
a surge on the Trimetric of about 170 amps (at 24 vdc) for a second at
start up.

The on board circuit breakers of the transformer are rated at 15 amps, we
are running them at 76%.(<80%) I am going to reccomend this system to the
customer for emergency backup only since we are exceeding Franklin's
reccomendations. I am proposing to wire the well pump through a bypass
switch similar to Trace's inverter bypass switches.(Grid power = normal,
Inverter/ Transformer = emergency bypass) Anybody have comments?

Ray

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm