Only in New Jersey? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 09:45:25 PDT 2002

One of our customers in New Jersey said it takes months to get permit
approval. I think you will get a kick out of his response to my reply.

My reply. Months to get permit approval? The process is simple.
1) You apply for a permit.
2) The permit office tells you what you need for documentation.
3) You provide the documentation and pay the fee and get your permit.
4) You install your system.
5) You modify your wiring diagram based on the final design - called
"as-built" drawings.
6) The inspector approves your system.
Done.

Our customer's response. In our town it goes like this:
1) Submit permit application.
2) They take weeks/months to get around to looking at it.
3) They approve it - if the inspector is having a good day.
4) You do it.
5) They inspect it and "find" something to change which wasn't in the
information they requested OR:
5a) They send someone to inspect it,  but he is "only filling in" and
can't sign off on it.
6) You change it.
7) They come back, "find" something else they didn't bother to tell you
the first time.
8) You pull your hair out.
9) Repeat step 6.
10) There IS no step 10 - you are stuck in an endless loop!!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com