TOU PV [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 26 12:16:45 PDT 2002

On Jun 10, I heard from LADWP employees that California utilities are
re-writing the rates so that
customers with Time of Use net metered PV systems will not get full
value
for their peak electric production. Electricity produced during the peak
sun
hours of 10AM to 2PM will be counted as ordinary kWh subtracted from
the monthly or annual total kWh consumed. I hope this is just an ugly,
false
rumor. Anyone know the facts?

Here is what one of my customers in PG&E territory wrote today in the
TraceSWGTI at eCompute.org user group:

         It wouldn't surprise me that some "unprogressive" utilities
might
be trying to subvert TOU being used with renewable energy. Keep in mind
that the commitment to TOU comes from the CPUC. They fully understand
the
relationship between renewable energy and TOU. They know that the number

one problem Califronia has with its electrical system is not about total

kwhr output, but rather, one of peak generation capability. Combining
the
renewable energy tariff (NET-1) with TOU ( E-7) to make the NET-7 tariff
is
intended to flush out more opportunities to increase renewable energy
generation while also improving the grid's peak generation capability.
Renewable energy is just a small component of TOU; the TOU tariff allows

commercial accounts of up to 1MW to go on TOU billing.

         When the PG&E tariff department was explaining the NET-7 tariff
me, it was clear to me that PG&E was responding to a CPUC mandate to
implement it. They said to expect that it to remain intact for a minimum
of
two years. Because NET-7 TOU is a positive force for the peak generation

problem, it is definitely a priority.

         Also note that TOU billing in no way harms a utility company.
For
each peak kwhr that PG&E granted me a credit, there was another PG&E
customer somewhere else on TOU billing that used a peak kwhr and paid
the
peak premium. Since I generated the kwhr, PG&E didn't have to. NET-7 TOU
is
simply about extending the principles of net metering to TOU to improve
peak generation capacity.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm