Trace C-40 voltage stability on wind systems [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Mon Jun 17 07:42:02 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hi

I have been using Trace C-40 diversion load controllers on my recent
AWP installations.  I wonder if anyone else out there has experience
of using them on wind turbines?  My experience has been that the
battery voltage wanders.  If you take an average over time, it
charges the batteries at the required level, but at any given moment
the voltage can be as much as ten percent off, and is typically five
percent off the set point.

I have tried to ignore this problem up to now and just say 'well it's
Trace it must be good'.  I love the ability to program two charge
rates into the controller.  Many wind turbine controllers can't do
this.  But I am getting increasingly frustrated by the wandering.  It
doesn't seem right and if it wanders up far enough the inverter cuts
out and then the problem becomes a bit more tangible than a weird
reading on a digital meter.

Any ideas?
--
Hugh