LADWP Lockout update [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Jun 10 22:54:28 PDT 2002

6/10/02 - The latest from LADWP’s PV lockouts:

PV is at the top of the IBEW list of reasons for re-negotiating raises
for linemen.

Negotiations included discussions about having the AC disconnect located
outside the front entrance of homes with gates to enter property.  This
has been resolved and the original requirement for a visible exterior
disconnect mounted within 8” of the meter is acceptable.

Random testing of inverters was performed and no substantial islanding
issues arose. PV islanding is not an issue and all sources of potential
generation sources will be locked out.

It has been determined that PV is a sound technology that presents no
unreasonable hazard.

The lockouts will continue until the IBEW field crews have been trained.
 Training sessions are held on a quarterly basis and the next training
session is in September.

The IBEW review committee has to establish documented working orders for
field crews, this will take time.

All PV locations have to be identified and programmed into the Electric
Trouble Board.

LADWP’s lockout letter is under review, as the compensation to
homeowners may not happen.  There has not been a funding mechanism
programmed into the departments accounting program to deal with this
issue.

The lockout only affects residential systems, typically 10kW or less.

Commercial installations, which are typically installed by union
workers, are not affected.

I asked if the IBEW had been asking about making it mandatory to have
IBEW workers make the PV connection to the grid.  I was told that this
never came up in discussions, but was also told that by reading between
the lines it is obvious they want a measure of control in the
residential PV industry.

I was even told by someone at DWP, who has to remain nameless, that the
lockout is in direct violation of the States net metering law.  This
person also mentioned that he wished a locked out homeowner would file a
lawsuit against the department and how this may be the quickest means of
ending the lockout.

One final note:  I truly believe the people at DWP running the solar
department our on our side.  I saw Bill Brooks teaching at least 20 guys
today at the LADWP facility.  I was also thrilled to see that a sizable
percentage of the attendees were Building and Safety Inspectors.  I am
wondering if these people were informed of the current lockout
situation.  Contractors have not been officially notified of the
lockouts, instead they get blindsided by confused customers.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm