On grid w/ 54vdc battery [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed May 29 14:20:07 PDT 2002

Yes - I also did a number of systems with 54 vdc batteries - it will
improve the performance for systems in cool climates (such as Colorado
or the Sierra Nevada mountains.

The main problem was the lack of memory for the setpoints required.  I
did do one system where I adjusted the resistance of the temp comp
sensor to make it think the batteries where cold, raising the settings -
which worked better than adjusting the settings.  Still not perfect
however.

The difficult part is setting the charge controllers to prevent them
from allowing the voltage to get to high and cause the inverter to shut
down and to not trip into float, reducing the PV array's output power.
The bottom line is that the PV controllers (MPPT or not) needs to "talk"
with the inverters to prevent conflicts from occurring (which is what we
at OutBack are doing with our new products).

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA