DC-DC Converters [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Sat May 18 21:50:59 PDT 2002

John, et al,

I tried putting together a DC-DC converter from components and not being
an electronics engineer, apparently did not get it all together
correctly (even with some assistance from the mfg.). We had some sort of
noise interference with a Digital Solar controller so that it would not
function properly; solution, put in a fully engineered instrument (in
this case a Wilmore). I also tried in a different circumstance, using a
Solar Converters DC-DC unit (48->12) and found (actually our customer
found, after frying $18000 worth of radio equip) that when first
supplied with power it lets through full voltage for a few milliseconds
(20 ms if memory serves). This would probably not be a problem for more
robust loads. Or, you might be able to get around it if you put a switch
after the DC-DC and turned it on after firing up the DC-DC, but our
customer's solution was to specify a fully engineered instrument. Until
I become an electronics wiz, I'm going to stick with fully engineered
instruments for DC-DC converters. Would you like some surplus DC-DC
converter modules?

John Raynes wrote:

> I took a quick look at some sites selling Wilmore converters.  The ones
> saw look like full-fledged instruments, not components.  Really nice,
> but
> you're probably paying for a lot more product than you need.  I think we
>
> can dig up some better options among fully UL-listed components.  Most
> will
> need to be part of some larger system enclosure,  preferably metal for
> heat
> sinking. And they'll need their own fusing and/or disconnect.  But that
> shouldn't be a problem if it's designed in to a system.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Raynes
> Principal Engineer
> Raynes Engineering, Inc./RE Solar