DC Boat motor current [RE-wrenches]

Wallace Stahle, Future Elec. Energy Co. wstahle at slonet.org
Fri May 10 12:23:26 PDT 2002

Greetings Solar Brethern and Sisteren,

Would any of you have the formula for converting " Lbs of thrust" of a given
voltage DC motor
(boat motor that is) into amps and/or speed, along the variables of weight,
wind and water resistance that the boat provides?

I would also happily search the proper engineering subtopic if pointed in
the right direction.
I am having no luck inquiring of the local marine engine suppliers. An
initial web search has me scratching the noggin.

I am looking into the feasability of a solar canopy for a Boston whaler with
a soon to have installed electric motor of 130 Lbs thrust. The solar is to
extend it's time in the bay, if it's not a foggy day.
Of course the array adds weight and resistance. I do not know yet the use
pattern employed by the occupants.  I believe a given use will begin and end
with steady travel and then involve stop and go in between, over a period of
3-6 hours. I do not know what speed is desired for these tasks yet.

Any enlightenment  is greatly appreciated.
Wally Stahle
Future Electric Energy Co.
San Luis Obispo, CA. 93406
805-542-0250